Iron Mountain Senior Tax Manager, REIT in Remote, Minnesota
At Iron Mountain we protect what our customers value most, from the everyday to the extraordinary, while helping them bridge the physical and digital world. Our people have the opportunity to bring their creativity to a workplace that thrives on change. Here, you will be part of a team that doesn’t just embrace what’s exceptional. It creates exceptional.
Iron Mountain is a global non-traditional REIT with complex tax planning, compliance, and reporting requirements. The Company continues to grow and expand rapidly into new businesses and international locations providing numerous tax-planning opportunities available at all levels of taxation (US, state, and international). This role can significantly and favorably affect these areas and has high visibility within the worldwide Finance organization. The Senior Tax Manager, REIT will report to the Vice President, Global Tax and will be located at Iron Mountain’s corporate headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts. The successful candidate will be a REIT tax expert with exceptional technical skills and proven expertise as a trusted business and tax advisor and able to thrive in a complex, fast-paced multinational organization. This position will be responsible for managing all aspects of the Company’s REIT tax planning efforts and compliance qualification matters in order to maintain the Company’s REIT status. The Senior Tax Manager, REIT supports the Company’s growth strategy with REIT due diligence that analyzes the REIT implications of the Company’s strategic initiatives, mergers and acquisitions, and business transactions.
WHAT YOU'LL DO...
● Monitor REIT compliance & qualification matters, including: forecasting taxable income, reviewing REIT income and asset tests, and monitoring REIT distribution requirements.
● Review income test calculations to determine qualifying versus non-qualifying income.
● Support the Transfer Pricing Senior Manager and external advisor in preparing the transfer pricing documentation and review transfer pricing journal entries to ensure compliance between the REIT and TRS.
● Draft and maintain the intercompany service agreements between the REIT and TRS.
● Provide strategic tax planning and research with respect to REIT qualification matters to ensure the company effectively optimizes, manages and protects its REIT status.
● Manage the REIT due diligence process that analyzes all business opportunities and determines whether the contracts are qualifying REIT contracts or non-qualifying TRS contracts.
● Provide tax advice to other departments with respect to: acquisitions or dispositions, capital market transactions, Joint Ventures, international tax structuring, transfer pricing considerations of intercompany transactions, foreign currency transactions, etc.
● Review and prepare supporting documentation for significant transactions and obtain REIT tax opinions from external REIT legal counsel.
● Effectively monitor legislative and regulatory developments and assess the impact on the company’s business and tax strategy.
● Work closely with the worldwide members of the tax department to drive precision, accuracy and accountability. Develop and refine best practices and policies, support and lead cross-functional projects, training, and opportunities to promote education and awareness of tax issues to the broader Iron Mountain teams.
● In connection with the drive to achieve organizational goals and objectives, coordinate and partner with the global tax team, Treasury, Legal, Finance Accounting and business units to ensure that coordinated, integrated, and comprehensive tax, treasury, finance, and transfer pricing structures and strategies are planned, executed, and documented.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED...
● Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
● Master's degree in Taxation and/or CPA certification are highly desirable.
● + 8 years of corporate tax experience, including public accounting. ● Must have proven experience in REIT taxation and the issues and considerations confronted by global REITs.
● Balanced approach and experience with tax planning, M&A, compliance, and reporting.
● Detail oriented with excellent organizational and follow up skills. Ability to effectively communicate complex tax matters to non-tax professionals.
● Excellent accounting and analytical skills and abilities including a fundamental understanding of US GAAP accounting and consolidated financial statements for large multinational companies.
● Proactive, tenacious, resilient, self motivated, hands-on, with an intellectual curiosity and bias for action; willing to embrace change, seek out business partners, understand value propositions, and develop creative ideas to improve the company’s tax position and support operational initiatives
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
● Open, honest and critical thinking, management, and communication style required.
● Cooperative team player with a “business partner” and “value add” perspective.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
● Be part of an ever evolving global organization focused on transformation
● Have a support system where you have a safe place to voice your opinion and share feedback
● Open space to be creative, strategize, brainstorm, and plan for the future success of the Tax function
● Global connectivity to learn from 26,000+ teammates
Category: Finance Group
Iron Mountain is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit and hire applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor prohibited by law.
To view the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law posters and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, CLICK HERE